Tuesday 29 July 2014

08 July 1818



Barbuda July 8th 1818
Sir.
Understanding that the Admiral Rowley is nearly ready to sail for Bristol, I am sending over this years wool to be shipped onboard of her, I think it is much superior to what was sent last, it is in three Bales of about three hundred pounds each, I am also sending two fine turtle and Barrel of Cashew seeds to go by her, and hope they will reach you safe.  By the ship Cato Captn Morton for London, which I find is to sail on Friday next will be shipped six Bales of Cotton and a box of turtle shell, I have about as much more Cotton still to clean, which shall be done as fast as possible. I shall direct my Agent in Antigua to forward to you the bills of lading for the same, and one to Mr Trattle for the Cotton & shell. I am happy to say the weather continues to be as favourable as I could wish, I have now planted all my Yams, and about one hundred & eighty Acres of Corn, which are looking well; Cotton I have not yet planted as August it is considered the best time for planting it, the land is ready. The Rattoons are looking well. The Rains this season commenced much sooner than usual & if this continues I hope to have good crops of everything this year, last season we had no rains to speak of until 20th October, which is too late for this Island; since my last your Estates have had another load of Oxen, and I am now looking out for others to complete the demand, which I hope soon to accomplish.  Inclosed you have Geo: Ottleys Bill on John R Indway Esqr for £150 sterling.
I am
Sir
              Your Most Obedt Humble
Servant
(signed) John James





Reference: Gloucestershire Records Office, Microfilm no.351, Section no.6, D1610 C24

No comments:

Post a Comment